How to make tender grilled chicken breast with gamebird aroma
Published: 17-Oct-2012 (12:39); Viewed: 1830; Difficulty: 3 out of 10
Gamebirds have very distinctive, astringent taste, but they are not widely available for sale, and cooking procedure is rather complicated. In this recipe we will make tender grilled chicken breast with taste and flavours, similar to wild bird. Of course it will not be the same as Wood Grouse, for example, but reasonable near. Also we will cook chicken breast to preserve its tenderness as much as possible. Basically, all these modifications, we can make with properly selected spices and marinades, and of course, proper grilling technique.
- Chicken mini fillets. 600gm. This will make three nice portions.
- Sauces for marinade:
- Teriyaki sauce, 2 tbsp, preferably thick one.
- Say sauce, 3 tbsp. As usually Kikkoman is our choice.
- Toasted sesame oil, 3 tbsp.
- Lemon, juice from ½ fruit.
- Garlic, whole bulb
- Hot chilli, adjust to your preferences, but usually 2 birds eye for 600 gm of meat will make proper balance of chilli flavour and hotness.
- Black cardamom, 1-2 fruits
- Ground coriander, 1½ tsp
- Cinnamon, small stick
- Szechuan pepper and Juniper berries, 1 tsp and ½ tsp, respectively. They are not shown on the picture, but they are very important for this dish
Remove think sinew from the base of mini fillet. This tendon will not be very pleasant in the final dish. Cut each mini fillet into two or three pieces, depending on its size.
Finely slice chilli. Ground all spices.
Add all sauces and spices into the bowl with chicken breasts.
Mix everything well, cover with cling film and leave marination for 2-3 hours. There is no point to marinate it longer, but shorter time is not suitable as well.
Put all chicken pieces on the metal skew. Prepare charcoal barbecue. When the charcoal just starts to cover by white ashes – it is a perfect time for cooking!!!
Put skews with chicken breast about 10-12 cm away from the charcoal and cook on one side until ready. Remember, that sugars from the teriyaki sauce can caramelize and burns quickly and produce very dark brown crust.
Cook on other side approximately the same time. Check the doneness of the chicken by piercing with knife, or more professionally with the thermometer, and if not ready cook some more time, turning very often. Serve and eat immediately!
tips and tricks
- Of course you can make teriyaki sauce by combining soy sauce with Mirin sauce, but for some cooking procedures, ready make teriyaki will be completely suitable.
- Please note, there are no salt in this recipe!!! Soy sauce is reasonably salty by itself, and usually it will be enough to make proper salting.
- Wooden charcoal will give much better results in compare with briquettes.
- Do not overcook!!! You will lose all tenderness.
- This meat is perfect when it hot, but when its cold – it loose almost all aroma and taste.