How to make tajine duck with pumpkin
Published: 29-Mar-2013 (04:04); Viewed: 2147; Difficulty: 5 out of 10
This dish should be cooked in tajine, with hot bottom and cold top part with good recirculation of steam, but it is possible to do it without tajine with almost the same results. In this recipe, I will show, how to make tajine duck with pumpkin even without using the tajine, in the standard wok with large bowl as a lid.
- Duck legs, 4 legs..
- Onion, 5-8 small bulbs.
- Carrots, 3 average pieces.
- Ginger, 5 cm root.
- Garlic, one bulb.
- Potato, 3 medium tubers
- Pumpkin, or butternut squash, about 1 kg.
- Herbs ans spices:
- Corriander, small bunch.
- Mint, small bunch
- Basil, small bunch
- Turmeric, 1 tsp.
- Paprika, 1 tsp.
- Zira, 1 tsp.
- Coriander seeds, 1 tsp.
- Hot chilli, 1 fruit.
- Salt, to taste, 1-2 tsp
Prepare all vegetables. Clean, peel, chop, slice, etc. Store chopped potatoes in a bowl with water.
Cross-cut duck skin, through the fat, but do not cut the meat. This will helps to melt the duck fat.
This dish will be cooked in large wok. First of all it is nesessary to melt out all fat and remove it for the future use.
- Put the duck legs skin down on the wok and gently worm the wok on low heat.
- When the fat melts, remove duck legs from the wok.
- Spoon out as much as possible of duck fat
- Store the melted duck fat in an appropriate container
Repeat these four steps two, or three times, until all the fat melts.
After removing of all fat, there are some of them still will be in the wok, and it will be enough for further cooking. Fry half of the onion, until golden, then add garlic and finely chopped ginger.
Add carrots and fry a bit more.
Add spices and salt, stir and fry a bit more.
Add 100 ml of water and stir again. Add duck legs, skin down.
Add chopped potatoes and rest of the onion.
Add cubes of pumpkin or butternut squash. Add all chopped, or dried herbs.
Cover wok with the large bowl and and cook on low to medium fire for about 3 hours.
Serve and enjoy!
tips and tricks
- Use 1 tbsp of dried herbs instead of small bunch of fresh one.
- Is is very good to add 50-100 gm of soft chickpea.
- Large bowl should works as a tajine lead.